It’s getting to that stage now where we’re thinking of updating our Spring/Summer wardrobes but the big question is – what look are we going to go for? 70s glamour, 60s feminine silhouettes, florals, beautiful blues, primary colours or floaty, sheer materials… really, the list is endless.
To help you to decide, here’s our pick of just some of the hottest trends for Spring/Summer 2011.
The 70s is the latest era to get a modern makeover. So, what can we expect from this trend?
- High waisted, wide leg jeans or trousers are back – nip in your waist with a smart belt.
- Bow blouses in floaty chiffon, silk or satin. Billowing sleeves and sheer fabrics help bring a feminine edge. We love this Pussy Bow blouse from south for a smart but feminine style.
- Jumpsuits, playsuits or, if you’re feeling brave, hotpants. Neutral colours help bring this look into the daytime. Try this brown jumpsuit for a fab day to night look.
- Fringing – from bags to boots, fringing is the accessory trend for 2011. We’re a little bit in love with this fringe leather bag from Modalu.
- Metallic or shimmery ‘disco’ inspired materials, and sequins are perfect for a night-time 70s feel.
Hot on the heels of the Oscar nominated Black Swan, women everywhere are wanting to copy Natalie Portman’s style. That said, skipping down the street in a tutu probably isn’t the best idea. Luckily, designers have taken to infusing ballerina style elements into their trends – so you can work ballerina chic without having to pirouette!
- The body is back – yes the bodysuit is back for Spring/Summer 2011 and neutral colours are a must. Perfe ct for teaming with wide leg trousers, billowing maxi skirts or underneath sheer maxi dresses.
- Chiffon, layered skirts and ruffled maxis are all prominent trends to be influenced by th e rise of the ballerina. Opt for neutral colours and sheer fabrics for a feminine, romantic feel. For a pretty, girly look try this polka dot layered skirt from Rare.
- Ballet flats are back! Now, we all love our heels but they aren’t the most practical to walk around in all day so the return of the ballerina flat is definitely a welcome one. Try this cute, jewelled Dune pair for a casual but pretty evening look.
Team your ballerina chic look with a tight bun, flawless makeup with soft pinks or peach blush.
Under the sea: Brilliant Blue
Getting the blues this Spring/Summer is perfectly ok, as long as it only applies to your wardrobe. The catwalks were ablaze with blues of all colours – but especially royal blue, cobalt, aqua and turquoise. You’ll be spoilt for choice but we think that making a statement in a blue dress is the perfect way to stand out and there are some great versions to try out.
Check out our Sea Breeze collection for inspiration!