Stars of the show – new Christmas advert!

Stars of the show – new Christmas advert!

It’s fun, it’s festive, it’s full of really cute kids, yes it’s our new Christmas TV advert! It first hit our TV screens yesterday morning so it’s quite likely that you would have seen it by now. And if you haven’t caght it on the box yet you may well have seen it online, as it’s been on our You Tube channel since mid October along with the brilliant behind the scenes footage.

Set in a Christmas school play with a chorus of children, a cool street dance group and a curious spider, the children sing along to a re-recorded version of the 1960s  Terry Scott song ‘My Brother’, which incorporates the gifts Mum has bought for the whole family for Christmas. The ad takes a light hearted look at how the family comes together at Christmas and provides some gift inspiration that is often much needed in the early stages of Christmas planning!

So visit our website to watch the show and see how long it takes before you start humming along to the tune…

If you loved that (and we hope you do) you should check out the behind the scenes video and extras for more funny moments and an explanation about spider boy (in case you were wondering!).

Of course it wouldn’t be Christmas without a little giveaway, so we took the ad to Facebook where we’re running a huge competition to win the gifts from the ad. Yes that’s right, the Xbox, the Apple MacBook, the watch, the toys…it’s a huge prize and one person every week will win it until the 20th November. And because we love spreading the joy, a further 10 people every week will win £100 to spend with Littlewoods just by entering the bonus draw!

So get into the festive spirit, let your feet start tapping and we promise you’ll know all the words in no time!

Get it at Littlewoods

Watch our TV and all the extras at Littlewoods.com!

Let your friends know about it:

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • MySpace
  • Bebo
  • Digg
  • Delicious
  • Stumbleupon

50 Comments

1. Posted by Allan Davison on November 2, 2011

Thanks Littlewoods, just had my little by asking why all these children’s mum’s put the presents under the Christmas tree and not Santa Claus. Another nail in the coffin for Santa Claus, might as well tell him the truth now.

2. Posted by Amy Hendley on November 2, 2011

This advert is a disgrace, getting kids to say there mum buys all the presents no I think for most kids it’s SANTA!!! If this advert is shown in the daytime I shall be complaining! You are ruining the spirit of Christmas!

3. Posted by Amy Hendley on November 2, 2011

Ps I am already taking steps to ban this advert. I feel sorry for the children that have taken part in this, do their parents agree with the fact that they are believing that mum buys all the gifts! All just to sell your products! I can’t believe that a company who is meant to be setting a high standard would do this.

4. Posted by Nicky Fisher on November 2, 2011

I think your new Christmas advert is so wrong, I have a 6 year old daughter who truly believes in father christmas, and your advert has taken all of that away, sure she knows that her parents have some control over the presents, but not only have to taken Father Christmas out of the equation but also her Dad, throughout the whole year we do and always have done a good girl tick chart, and each night Father Christmas or one of his elves comes and give her a tick if she has been a good girl, we have done this now for a few years, How dare you destroy that tradition. YOur advert is most thoughtless, and ofensive

5. Posted by mell on November 2, 2011

I would not be happy if my kids watched your ad, Santa buys the gifts and not Mother!

6. Posted by lindsay on November 3, 2011

disgusting, have to turn this advert off whenever it comes on. The magic of christmas in our house is partly the belief that it is santa who comes and leaves all the pressies this advert ruins this theory – well done.

7. Posted by nicki powell on November 3, 2011

This advert is a disgrace. Are you trying to ruin the magic of christmas for us!!!!!!! Please remove this advert and dont ruin christmas for so many families. I have a very excited 4 and 6 year old do not take that away from them and us because of trying to sell your products. I certainly will not be ordering anything from you now!!!!!

8. Posted by chris stone on November 4, 2011

i think the advert is i disgusting and i will be boycotting littlewoods due to the fact that there is no mention of santa , i feel that you trying to support the facts that Britain has a large different religious community and you don’t want to upset any one , well you have ,and i hope you pull this advert ASAP

9. Posted by chris stone on November 4, 2011

i have contacted the above which is the tv advertising standards agency

disgusting advert and should be banned and removed straight away

10. Posted by Kiri Tokely on November 4, 2011

I have to say that i was a bit taken aback that “My lovely mother” buys all the gifts…My daughter believes in Santa, writes her list, puts it up the chimney, and we get great Joy watching her christmas spirit. I genuinely think that when/If she sees this advert she will be left wondering and asking questions. Thankyou Littlewoods for taking it away from her and us…

11. Posted by Machala on November 4, 2011

My daughter thinks Santa puts the presents under the tree!! Not parents!! It’s awful!

12. Posted by Shona on November 4, 2011

Totally agree with every other mum that has posted…Facebook campaign will be started no doubt. I posted pretty much same comments on another littlewoods blog. Advert was either given go ahead from someone cold hearted and calculating like Scrooge or a career person who has no kids. My son has been in tears and he’s only 4 – far too young to have Christmas stolen from him!

13. Posted by Johanna on November 4, 2011

This advert is a disgrace, in our family we all believe in Father Christmas, how dare Littlewoods spoil the greatest event of the year. I will never purchase from this disgusting company and will switch off the television to save my three little boys from this outragous advert. Childhood is short enough these days who are Littlewoods to make it even shorter!!!!

14. Posted by Johanna on November 4, 2011

On the same thread I am seriously looking into claiming for damages from this advert for the distress it has caused my children. Father Christmas is alive and well if religious figures were were treated in the same vein there would be rules to stop the advert.

15. Posted by doulas telfer on November 4, 2011

I must agree with the other comments.An incredibly ill conceived advert that totally spoils the magic of Christmas!

16. Posted by Adrian king on November 4, 2011

Littlewoods are you guys serious, absolute disgrace….. Ban this advert

17. Posted by Joanne Byrne on November 4, 2011

Absolutely disgusted, what are you trying to do Littlewoods? If your intention was to spoil Christmas for all those children who do believe in Father Christmas, well done you’re well on your way!!!

18. Posted by Jane on November 4, 2011

Its not ‘fun’ its not ‘Christmassy’ its relegated Santa its sidelined Dads and by far the worst message is the underlying message that ‘Mother is lovely’ only because she bought a load of high end branded goods. Perpetuating the over commercialisation of Christmas turning into a mammoth spending spree. Theres enough pressure on parents without you adding this unutterably vile pile of excrement onto them. Your ad agency are woefully out of touch with the current economic climate if they think that ‘pester power’ is the way forward. I’ll bet none of them are parents? Just a bunch of braying suited just out of Uni know it alls who know nothing….shame on you

19. Posted by Andrea on November 4, 2011

Banned from my home, my 6 year old would be so confused if I let him see that,the tune is good though apart from who is putting the items under the tree

20. Posted by bev healey on November 4, 2011

I think this advert is disgusting some young children now adays do not have much joy in their little lives and now here you are telling them there is no Father Christmas, they grow up fast enough without you ruining it for them at such a young age. Please do everyone a favour and get rid of this advert and I also will not be using your website until this happens and know doubt there will be a lots people deleting you from there christmas list too

21. Posted by julie on November 4, 2011

Children already grow up to fast with out Littlewood spoiling Christmas. i will not be letting my five year old watch this advert as in our house santa brings the presents. Does Littlewoods not think there is enough saddness in the world that they have to ruin christmas for the children aswell.

22. Posted by Julie Hamlin on November 5, 2011

Your ad is a disgrace – you should be so ashamed at what you have done

23. Posted by Emma Bevington on November 5, 2011

I am appalled at the message conveyed in this advert! My brother is only 7 and believes that FATHER CHRISTMAS buys not the presents not our Mum AND dad! It is utterly disgraceful and should be removed immediately.

24. Posted by Mrs Johnson on November 5, 2011

What the heck are littlewoods playing at they have killed father Christmas cheers !!! have had to explain to my 8 year old about the ad….It’s disgusting also glad the senior bods at littlewoods glad they got their mugs on TV at least now we know who is ripping off vunerable people with their disgusting interest rates hope you can sleep at night…Well DOne

25. Posted by Jemma on November 5, 2011

Not impressed with this advert at all and judging by other comments made by mums at our local playgroup the feeling is pretty mutual

26. Posted by Chris on November 5, 2011

This is terrible. I dont know who thought this up, but they should be sacked. If it was on after the watershed it would still be bad but not as bad. The fact its flooded all over the TV and the Radio during the day and evening, is ridiculous.

How do you justify the advert and message your giving out here? Everyone in the world, even if they live under a rock, knows about Christmas, Santa and how dearly the children believe in him, and your advert is now taking that away. Not just Santa, but my kid is asking why her mom gets her all the presents and I get her nothing.

Lets just pretend you werent sexist, and its still a stupid move. I suggest you get rid of your advert and rethink it. It’s nice that I’m the only one who thinks this way, as when I’m at the school, a lot of the parents are complaining about it. Why would I want to buy your products when you’re clearly just out to make profit, no matter whose beliefs you ruin. Pathetic.

27. Posted by Graham on November 5, 2011

I am 27 and employed, but I find the greed inspiring new Littlewoods advert so distasteful, I decided to seek out this blog to share my views; the advert is made with worst when we put it into the context of the very tough economic climate we find ourselves in. Shame on you Littlewoods! One of the retail outlets of my childhood will no longer be on my Christmas list.

Graham

p.s. the song is nauseating too!

28. Posted by dan on November 5, 2011

i hate with advert with a passion kids advertising credit

29. Posted by Denise on November 5, 2011

I cannot believe this advert, Christmas presents come from mum, what about all the poor children who do not have a mother?
    Most if all what about Santa Claus, where is your Christmas spirit and tradition.
    I will never be shopping with Littlewoods anymore. Grrrr

30. Posted by Nicolas on November 5, 2011

Littlewoods your advert is backfiring on you more than my gran after 50 sprouts. You have fupped christmas for so many people. Shame on you. Shame on you.

31. Posted by Graham Andrews on November 6, 2011

Christmas is about the Christian message, not a nativity scene being hijacked by selfishness and God being replaced with the childrens’ mothers! Most offended I have ever been and I have never complained about anything in life before!

32. Posted by Graham Andrews on November 6, 2011

This is the most nauseating and irresponsible advert ever. The list of expensive items sung about and the materialism promoted is disgraceful – especially in the current economic climate. The 32% APR for the payment plan at the bottom of the ad in small completes my argument. This advert should be banned and I am glad to see so many other people feel the same way on various forums. Morally wrong and it has nothing to do with the Christian Christmas or the secular (father Christmas) festival.

33. Posted by Laraine Thompson on November 6, 2011

Your Christmas advert is a disgrace! Kids believe Santa Clause brings the presents not Mummy! You should all be ashamed of yourselves! What ever happened to good adverts like Coca Cola with santa on the back of the truck. Where’s the magic of Christmas in your advert. I wont be placing any orders with Littlewoods this year, that’s for sure. You are all on the wrong path if you think thats all that christmas is about. DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!

34. Posted by CL on November 6, 2011

The sooner this advert is taken off TV, the better. The one thing that makes christmas magical is the innocence and belief children have about santa claus. My heart was in my throat when my five year old son saw this advert, terrible.

35. Posted by Lisa on November 6, 2011

Shocking! Santa puts pressie under the tree..its hard enough keeping the magic of Christmas alive, children grow up too fast as it is and ads like this aren’t making it any easier! My children aren’t even safe in the car as it all over the radio as well- Littlewoods what were you thinking?

36. Posted by Aneka on November 6, 2011

I hate this ad enough to make a comment. Its immoral, to suggest your mom is fantastic if she buys lots of material products. I think it says a lot about peoples values.

37. Posted by Elizabeth Hardwick on November 6, 2011

My 6 year old has just seen this advert shown right in the middle of a kids movie on a Sunday afternoon, thanks littlewoods for ruining the magic!! Now he is asking questions about no Father Christmas!!

38. Posted by Steven Hughes on November 6, 2011

I cant understand why littlewoods have done this, you would think that the company must of know this was going to happy with children asking parents about presents etc….
    All i can say is the marketing department have lost there mind putting a ad like this on tv….
    Very disappointed with littlewoods and will not be buying anything from them for christmas, or ever again…

39. Posted by Andrew Smith on November 6, 2011

Just seen Littlewoods advert while watching Open Season with the CHILDREN, what a disgrace some of us still wish to protect our children’s MAGICAL INNOCENCE and belief in Father Christmas. This commercialized Rubbish has no place on TV, Especially during a children’s film, it can destroy that magical innocence’s which every child has a right to hold on to for as long as possible. This advert should be BANNED.

40. Posted by J Archer on November 6, 2011

I’ve just seen this and I’m stunned. You’ve (probably inadvertently) almost ruined the whole magic surrounding Christmas for those children, such as my 6 year old, that still believe in Santa. Unfortunately, it’s just been shown again and my daughter just came in singing a line from it. I’m hoping the advert has been lost on her and if it comes again, i’ll switch channels. To dress it up like a school nativity is truly thoughtless. Shame on you for such wanton advertising of the materialistic side of the festivities.

Dismayed and disgusted. Whoever thought this up, and worse still, whoever signed it off, needs a slap.

41. Posted by Emma on November 6, 2011

Absolutely shocking advert, I have two young neices who have now asked why mummy is putting all the presents under the tree and not Father Christmas.. You could have now potentially ruined Christmas for thousands of children. There innocence is being taken away from them all to early these days and your adding to this with your terrible advert.!!!

42. Posted by Phil on November 7, 2011
  43. Posted by Emily on November 7, 2011

This advert is a bloody disgrace. You’ve single-handedly dispelled the myth of Santa in this house – thanks a bunch.

It’s NOT a cute advert, it’s sexist (Mum buys all the gifts, does she? Whilst daddy is busy at work, I expect) and it’s annoying. AND Scroogey, in the manner that it takes the magic out of christmas.

Idiots.

44. Posted by Rach on November 7, 2011

While I think the advert puts pressure on parents to buy expensive gifts (that is what adverts do) I don’t think it is ruining Christmas by saying Santa isn’t real. My children have always believed that family and friends get them presents and Santa fills their stocking and brings a few surprises. How else will children learn to appreciate and value what they get?

45. Posted by Emily on November 7, 2011

Absolutely disgusting. Even my kids were appalled by the greedy, grasping attitude encouraged by this advert and they are normally as mercenary as the next child!
    Also how disappointing to bypass Santa and tell kids that Christmas is as interest-free, parental spending spree. Most of us want to preserve the magic of Christmas for as long as possible. In our house, Santa still brings the presents not MY MUVVER!

46. Posted by Rae-Ann on November 7, 2011

I think this advert is a disgrace I had my 4 year old daughter asking why mothers put the presents under the tree when she thought it was santa claus. I don’t think this advert should be allowed, all just to sell your products and I for one will not be purchasing another thing from Littlewoods. Also what are the parents of the children starring in the advert thinking do they not care about thier children knowing they buy the presents. DISGRACEFUL, THOUGHTLESS AND OFFENSIVE!!!!

47. Posted by Deborah Hackett on November 7, 2011

Words really do fail me at how disgusted and completely hurt I am by your advert. How on earth to you expect parents to explain this to their children. Well done for completely ruining christmas for thousand of kids. I hope people boycott your stores and that you are never forgiven for destroying the one thing kids live for each year. And complimentary vouchers to anyone for your apologies will not be enough…… I am fuming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48. Posted by Emma Kidger on November 7, 2011

I was pointed to this liink via a thread on mumsnet where the more or less universal reaction to your ad is one of disgust. It is a hugely tacky and irresponsible ad, ruining the magic of father christmas for children and promoting irresponsible spending on credit, aimed at those who can least afford it.

I will certainly try to ensure my children don’t see it.

49. Posted by Steve on November 7, 2011

I think this advert is disgusting children should believe that santa claus brings the presents NOT mothers. Thanks Littlewoods for ruining the christmas spirit for young children. I think people should boycot Littlewoods if these are the measures you resort to just to sell your products!

50. Posted by margaret pittem on November 7, 2011

cannot believe this apalling advert it should be banned,i am glad my children are older totally ruined the santa beleif saying that there mum puts everything under the tree.Who came up with this and did anyone think it through at all!!!